In celebration of International Dance Day, we're inviting children aged 8-11 and their grown-ups to join us from home for an urban dance adventure with Olwyn Lyons.
Love the dances on TikTok? Now's your chance to create your own! The Ark and CoisCéim Broadreach are delighted to jointly present very special online dance workshops for children and their grown-ups in celebration of International Dance Day!
Join dancer and choreographer Olwyn Lyons for a fun, high energy dance workshop that draws influences from urban and contemporary dance styles. Starting with a general warm up and stretch, Olwyn will then then introduce you to some cool moves to uptempo beats that you can put together to Dance Your Own Dance!
Requirements for Participation
For safety reasons, a parent or grown-up must be present in the room throughout the session, and if necessary be available to assist their child, so we hope that you will actively take part in the workshop alongside your child.
- Computer/Tablet/Phone with internet access for Zoom – placed on a table at children’s eye level
- A clear floor area of about 8 paces square – free of movable furniture and all other hard objects. Ensure you have enough space for everyone in the family who would like to take part to dance comfortably side by side.
- The best floor surfaces are carpet, lino or wood
- Dancing on ceramic kitchen tiles or concrete is TO BE AVOIDED
Children should wear:
- Tracksuit, leggings & t-shirt
- Bare feet or trainers as preferred
- No jewellery
Online platform: The workshop will be delivered using the Zoom video call software and no recordings will be made in line with The Ark’s guidelines on the imagery of children. This will be a private Zoom session which will only be accessed by those booked into the workshop, the dance artist and one member of The Ark's staff.