Our Code of Conduct gives expression to the standards we uphold and the unique qualities we embody in our work in The Ark.
By adhering to the behaviours set out here, we ensure that The Ark has a positive and empowering culture, which supports and encourages all those who work here as well as those who engage with us as artists, audiences and partners. Most importantly, this code commits us to the behaviours and attitudes that put children first. Children are at the heart of all that we do.
This Code of Conduct is supported by specific policies which address in more detail what is required, what we attend to and what we expect in relation to employment, child protection, data protection, health and safety, diversity and inclusion.
These five values guide our work to create opportunities for children to discover and love the arts.
- Doing our best
- Being friendly and welcoming
- Having fun
- Being brave
- Always learning
When we are doing our best...
- We expect and deliver to the highest possible standards.
- We think and act in the best interests of The Ark, doing what is right, not what is easy.
- We work as a team, supporting each other to be the best we can be every day.
- We take responsibility for what we do, are open about what we cannot do and are honest if things go wrong.
- We take time to nurture the relationships we have with valued, longstanding partners.
When we are being friendly and welcoming...
- We treat everyone the way we would like to be treated ourselves – with respect and kindness.
- We are genuinely interested in the views, needs and ideas of those who engage with us, especially children.
- We work to make The Ark accessible and inclusive to as many children as possible.
- We go out of our way to make every child’s experience of The Ark inspirational.
- We talk positively and confidently about The Ark, enthusing others about our work and how they can get involved.
When we are having fun...
- We take our work seriously but find the joy in it too.
- We make it easy for children to discover and delight in their creativity.
- We create the atmosphere and conditions that enable staff and artists to thrive.
- We are mindful that our words and deeds contribute to The Ark being a safe, harmonious and enjoyable place to work.
- We celebrate success, milestones and other happy events.
When we are being brave...
- We try out new ideas and are adventurous in how we make art with and for children.
- We seek out and invest in new artistic talent.
- We seek out and establish new partnerships and opportunities.
- We stand up for what we believe in, even when it’s not popular or easy.
- We stand and speak up for children while also encouraging them to express themselves.
When we are always learning...
- We are curious and open to change.
- We are up-to-date with the trends, policies and other developments that may affect our work.
- We learn for ourselves and from others including children, audiences, artists, collaborators, colleagues, sharing what we know.
- We accept feedback even when it is hard to hear.
- We support and invest in training our people to enable them to be at their best at work.