The Ark is where children come to discover and love art, as is their right. Following the publication of our 2022 Annual Report, we're celebrating some the amazing achievements The Ark has made in fulfilling this right last year.
You can take a look at some of The Ark's highlights from 2022 below, or download the complete Annual Report and Audited Financial Statements for 2022 online here.
The Ark Children’s Council was established in 2016 to bring children into The Ark’s decision–making processes. Over the course of 2022, Council members provided invaluable insight into our programme and activities, and were at the centre of a number of key projects.
- Shaping the programme and promotion of BIG BANG Dublin! and acting as Festival Ambassadors
- Presenting a works–in–progress showcase, Still Loading…, and giving their feedback to showcasing artists in the development of their work
- Co–curating Right Here Right Now! A Festival of Children, delivered in early 2023, including issuing a nationwide callout for children’s views on their rights and creating promotional materials for the festival and The Right Here Right Now Rally
- Co–creating Lookout with artists Andy Field and Beckie Darlington, a unique performance piece as part of Dublin Fringe Festival
- Developing and launching HEAR OUR VOICE! Instructions on how to listen to children
A huge thank you to our 2022 Children's Council members: Abbie, Áine, Alexander, Anna, Anna Jia Ying, Anna Mae, Aoife, Cameron, Christian, Daisy, Eduard, Eloise, Esme, Eve, Fia, Gabriella, Glen, Indeever, Isla, Jack D, Jack Mc, Kyle, Libby, Lily, Linnea, Louis D, Louis O, Malachy, Mason, Mia, Molly, Naima, Nawaal, Nina, Noah, Olly, Panav, Ryan, Samuel, Sachet, Sarah, Sean, Síle, Tilly, Torin and Yu Ru!
During the pandemic, The Ark made resources available online, adapted creative workshops to be delivered via video conferencing and even embarked on a live–streamed theatre performance. Digital programming has since become a regular part of our offering and in 2021/22, with funding from Rethink Ireland, the Department of Education and individual donors, we piloted Live From The Ark.
The programme consisted of two on–demand filmed performances, live online workshops and downloadable activity packs. While we still believe in the power of the in–person experience, we really value this method to reach children in every county in Ireland, most of whom would never otherwise visit The Ark in Dublin.